Pets can also benefit from alternative therapies and they usually react and receive the treatments in a positive way as they can feel the changes within their body throughout the session. The treatments can be used to assist with a number of conditions or as a general maintenance/pamper session.
Bowen Therapy for Pets
Bowen Therapy is a soft tissue technique which consists of specific moves over muscles, tendons and ligaments with the purpose of re-hydrating the fascia (connective tissue) throughout the body. Working on trigger points and acupuncture points assists with promoting healing within the body.
Bowen can assist with a variety of conditions and include:
- Injuries (new and old)
- Muscle stiffness
- Joint pain
- Hip dysplasia
- Post-surgery recovery
- Ideal for working dogs to maintain peak condition
Reiki for Pets
Reiki is used to promote healing and relaxation of the mind, body and spirit. It assists with a number of issues to include physical health (pain and discomfort), emotional wellbeing, reduction of stress/fear, and aids with the recovery process following surgery or injury.
Hands-on and distance sessions are available for both Bowen and Reiki. Please contact us for more information.
- Ensure your pet has plenty of fresh drinking water available at all times and encourage them to drink. This is needed to re-hydrate the fascia throughout the body and will assist with providing a better outcome and longer lasting effects of the treatment (water is important to dilute toxins within the body)
- Gentle and restricted exercise (on a lead) for 20 – 30 minutes each day for at least three days afterwards (movement assists with flushing the toxins out of the body)
- Ensure a warm, comfortable bed is available (preferably lifted off the ground and away from any draughts or vents)
- Ensure their collar, harness, halter or coat fits properly and isn’t too tight
- Refrain from having other therapies until at least seven days later, this includes a further Bowen session
These can vary from animal to animal.
- May feel out of sorts for a few days afterwards
- A little sorer/stiffer
- More emotional
- An increased thirst
- Feeling more tired
- Subdued or heightened temperament